Monday, March 26, 2012

Holi Festival of Colors

Well, for those of you who don't know, the Festival of Colors is an Indian festival that celebrates their... FASHION. You heard me. Fashion. It celebrates the colors they wear. I guess. But, it's pretty much a party that BYU kids go to and throw colored powders at each other. It's way fun.

Sadie, Courtney, Jake, Dan, Madi, and I all piled in Sadie's car and made the vary long, arduous drive down to Spanish Fork, Utah. It was a long drive. I mean, LONG, drive. There was traffic, so it made the one hour drive into a two hour drive. With four people crammed in the back seat that was meant for two and a half.
When we got there, we had to walk about two miles to the temple. On the way there, this happened:


Before the Color Throwing
Sadie, Dan, Madi

People coming back from the festival had left over color and would throw it at as when they walked by. It was fun when we weren't getting it thrown in our eyes. We finally made it through the masses and found our way to the color station to buy our colors. This place was PACKED.
Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple
We ran into a lot of people we knew and made some new friends even. Kids were everywhere and there were more Mormons there than at General Conference... OK, maybe just as many as at General Conference. We danced, threw powder, and laughed. And then, before we turned brown from all the colors, we left and took our extra powder with us. The walk back was just as eventful, except that WE were throwing the powder. We finally got back to the car and we looked like this:
Madi and Dan





It was great. I'm so glad that I went. I got to see Madi one last time before August and I got to know my roommates a little better. The trip was long but worth it in the end. It was a wonderful way to start finals and end the semester. Now I'm totally ready to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment