Monday, April 4, 2011

Sand, Sweat, Sun

I'm sitting at home on Friday bored out of my mind, trying to think of what I can do that night to entertain myself when suddenly, Meredith Woods text me saying that her and Lauren wanted to get a bunch of Lily's friends to come surprise her at the beach this weekend. Yes!! Finally, a reprieve from my mundane life! Nathan then texts me and says that he is going to go down, if I wanted a ride. Things were working out great! So, Skylar and I go to the store to get a few things and then back home to pack. Nathan come and got us, and then we were on the road trip. It was quite the trip. So fun.I really got to know Nathan during that drive. It was totally fun.
Finally we arrive at Perdido Key, FL. Lauren's cousin has a condo out there that they were staying at and they had tons of room, so we stayed there, too. It was gorgeous! We surprised Lily with a song and some cup cakes, then we headed down to the beach for a midnight walk and to crab. Apparently, when you crab, you hunt for crabs, and then you put them in the same bucket and watch them fight. Kinda inhumane, but highly entertaining. We only were able to find one crab, so we let him go with a promise to come back the next night and try again.
Finally, we all crawl into bed at 3. I actually couldn't believe I was there, so I thought I was going to wake up back here in Calera. But, I didn't! I woke up in Florida! Haha, it was 7:30. The earliest I had been awake in weeks. We all got up and headed down to the beach for a few hours before General Conference started. I laid out and caught some rays. It felt great. And when I got hot, I just took a dip in the ocean. Man! it was great!
When it was time for conference, we headed back to eat and listen to it. It was kinda sketchy because the internet was bad, so the video kept skipping. But once it was over, we hopped back in the car and headed back to the beach! The weather by then had warmed up and gotten a bit breezier, but it was still awesome.
A couple of us decided to just stay at the beach instead of going back to watch conference, simply because we would just fall asleep and wanted to nap at the beach instead. As we were snoozing, Jacob started to dig to China. LOL. A couple people would come a comment but my favorite would have to be the little kid who came over and asked Jake if he could cuddle with Jake in the hole. This kid was on some sort of drug, Jake could see his hospital bracelet and his arm was in a cast. But it was just hilarious to listen to their conversation.  The poor kid probably had no idea what he was saying. He seemed to think that Alabama was in Russia. Strange. But, finally he left and Jake was done with the hole. So, I volunteered to get buried! It was quite the experience. The sand felt nice because it was cool, but after a while it started to get heavy and it became hard to breath. So, Jake dug me out, and I took a dip in the water to rinse off as much as I could before we went home for dinner. But, I can finally say I've been buried and I can now bury others. Haha
We went to dinner at this place called the Crab Trap. Just some seafood place. But since I don't like seafood, I ordered a hamburger. Original, I know. But hey, it's okay to not like seafood. At least, that's what the menu said. Afterwards, some of the guys wanted to go to the priesthood session at the local chapel, so the rest of us drove in to Pensacola, thinking we were gonna walk to strip. Instead, we went to an ice cream place similar to Cold Stone called The Marble Slab. The ice cream was delicious. The ride was hilarious. Rachel Dean and the BEST laugh ever. It's so contagious and spontaneous. I love it! Next, we went to Gulf Shores in search for souvenir shops so that Nathan could get a t-shirt as proof he was there. Finally, we headed back to the room and most of us were dead. So, we cleaned up a bit, and then the guys, minus Jared, and Lily went crabbing again. I was in bed by midnight. It was great.
Sunday we woke up early, cleaned the condo in preparation to leave, and then we headed back to the beach one last time. We were there for about an hour, and then we went to get some food from this pizza place next to where we were. Then we went to this place called the Happy Shack. The sign in the front says "Walk in for a free hug", Wow. Yeah. It really said that. I managed to walk out with a small brown bag. Haha. Not suspicious at all, I'd say.
I rode home with Meredith, Lily, and Lauren. Meredith drives just like me. Fast and impatient. We tried listening to conference, but it kept buffering, so instead I took a nap. The ride back was pretty chill. We went straight to Lauren's to drop her off and then to Lily's to pick up her brother and then off to FHE. We were a bit early, so we just ate the rolls left over from the Bozeman's lunch and chilled. I was soo beat by then though. And my skin was starting to get hot from being sun burned.
We discussed the talks given during conference, and then played some games. It was a pretty relaxing night. Nothing special. But still fun. The second I got home, I checked my Facebook and emails, and then hit the pillows. I was out by midnight. It was soo nice to sleep in, but disappointing not to wake up to sounds of the ocean. But, I guess I'll live.
I'm definitely going to go back this summer. Take Brianna with me before we head to the hell which is Rexburg. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment